Sometimes when we think gingerbread, we are reminded of those hard, card-board like cookies or pre-made, thick gingerbread house walls… Gingerbread has been done wrong! (Until now that is!)
Here is a delicious, grain-free, super-moist cake that will warm up any winter day. Your home will smell sweet and lightly spiced when this cake is baking! We used our OhMyMega Veggie™ blend in the batter and frosting to give it an extra boost of nutrition with hidden fresh veggies. OhMyMega Veggie™ combines: Organic apples, carrots, beets, ginger and flaxseed. You can also try them as cup cakes, just bake them 25-28 minutes at 350º instead.
This recipe make 8 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 min
Bake at 350º
For the Gingerbread Cake
- ½ cup (80g) of packed Coconut Flour
- ½ cup (64g) of Arrowroot Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 1½ teaspoon of Ginger Powder
- 1½ teaspoon of Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of Nutmeg
- Pinch of ground Cloves
- ½ cup of Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup of Molasses (not black strap)
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 3 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 Oh My mega Veggie Pouch
- ½ cup (100g) of Coconut Oil (softened solid)
- ¼ cup of Fine Coconut Sugar
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 3 oz of Softened Butter or Palm Shortening
- 3 Tablespoons of Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup of Arrowroot Flour
- 1/2 Oh My Mega Veggie Pouch
For the Gingerbread Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8″x4″ loaf pan.
- Sift together the coconut flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a bowl to form the dry mixture.
- Add the coconut oil and coconut sugar to the dry mixture and beat on medium-high for about 2 minutes until uniform.
- Combine the maple syrup, molasses, 1 pouch of Once Upon A Farm’s OhMy Mega Veggie™ and vanilla extract in another bowl to form the liquid mixture.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the liquid mixture and beat on medium until combined. Scrape the sides if necessary.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Grease the loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake, center rack, at 350F for 35-40 minutes
For the Frosting
- Whip the butter/shortening and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the arrowroot flour, 1/2 pouch of OhMyMega Veggie™ and maple syrup.
- Whip on low until the flour is absorbed into the butter, then whip on high for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
Notes: Let the cake cool completely then cut in half to form two layers.
Frost the center and then put the two halves back together.
Then frost the top of the cake. Add pomegranate seeds to the top just before serving.
Let your mouth melt (and your kiddos’) into Healthy Yumminess!